What kinds of trees do they use to make toilet paper?

What kinds of trees do they use to make toilet paper?

Toilet paper is made from the long, strong fibers of softwood trees such as Southern yellow pines and Douglas-firs. Toilet paper has a smooth feel due to the shorter fibers of hardwood trees such as oaks and maples. These come from pulp produced by either of two processes: the hot-melt process or the cold-melt process.

In the hot-melt process, wood chips are heated under pressure with chemicals to create a liquid that can be molded into sheets. The resulting product contains about 80% fiber and 20% plasticizer.

In the cold-melt process, wood pellets are fed into a machine called a "chopper" which crushes the pellet down into small pieces called "fluff." This fluff is then put into a tank where it melts due to heat from the tanks walls. As it melts, the wood fibers connect together forming a sheet. The resulting product contains between 70% and 90% fiber.

Trees used in the production of toilet paper are generally harvested from large plantations. Before they are cut down, these trees will have grown for many years with only their branches removed. They are then sent to the paper mill where they are chopped up by machines and processed into pulp.

What trees are the tissues made of?

Shorter fibers in hardwood plants such as gum, maple, and oak provide softer paper. Toilet paper is typically made from a blend of 70 percent hardwood and 30 percent softwood. Water, chemicals for breaking down the trees into useable fiber, and bleaches are also utilized in the manufacturing process. Trees absorb carbon dioxide during the process of photosynthesis and then release it when they decay or are burned. Thus, they help to balance out global warming effects.

Longer fibers in softwood trees such as pine produce coarser paper. Newspaper is usually made from wood pulp. The word comes from the French word naper, which means "to beat." New seeds are planted to replace those used up growing old trees, which eventually die and provide new material for paper products. Old-growth forests with hundreds of years of growth are often used for paper production because they contain more large-diameter trees that yield longer fibers. Logging these forests can have negative effects on other species in the area, so less-intense management practices have been developed over time. Chemicals are added during the processing of the wood to make it easier to write with pencils and pens. Then heat or water is applied to soften the paper for bending into shapes required for specific applications.

Burning trees releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, so forest fires can have a negative effect on climate change efforts. However, burning wood can reduce carbon dioxide levels if the fire is managed properly.

What kind of wood is used to make toilet paper?

Companies often utilize a mixture of 70 percent hardwood (oak, maple) for the manufacturing of commercial toilet paper: it comprises short fibers, which provide the paper softness. 30 percent softwood (Douglas fir, Southern pine): Long strands offer the strength of the paper.

Toilet paper was first invented in 1869 by Charles Goodyear. He coated cotton rags with rubber and then boiled them to create a new product that we use today called "toweling." Before this invention, people used their hands or birch brushes to wipe their asses. This process was called "toiling" and was not only unpleasant but also caused skin diseases such as leprosy because it exposed the body to bacteria present on public toilets.

In 1970, Kimberly-Clark introduced its first toilet paper made from 100 percent virgin timber. It was met with success and has been improved upon over time. Today, about 95 percent of all commercial toilet paper is made from recycled fiber. The remaining 5 percent comes from newly harvested trees.

Toilet paper is manufactured from wood pulp, which is obtained by cooking wood chips or sawdust in water until they are completely dissolved. Toilet paper is made by adding some chemicals to the stock, which causes the cellulose molecules to bond together into sheets.

About Article Author

Mary Saldana

Mary Saldana is a freelance writer and blogger. Her favorite topics to write about are lifestyle, crafting and creativity. She's been publishing her thoughts on these topics for several years now and enjoys sharing her knowledge with others.

Disclaimer

TexturaTrading.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Related posts